MATH TEAM MISSION STATEMENT
How We Believe Students Learn Math Best
- Students learn best by struggling through rich, non-routine, problems.
- Students deepen their understanding by applying mathematics concepts to complete meaningful projects.
- Substantive student-to-student discourse focused on mathematics concepts deepens common language used throughout, allows students to strengthen their understanding by recognizing the connections between concepts.
- Students develop mastery of concepts over time. It is is necessary to continually spiral concepts throughout each year and through subsequent years to improve retention.
- To reach our wide range of learners, we must differentiate tasks, without watering down the content.
- Math learning specialists providing individualized and small-group support are critical to help make sure students with learning disabilities get the support they need to learn.
- Lessons and units must be planned backwards with clear learning goals in mind to ensure focused teaching.
- We believe in the importance of a focused curriculum that emphasises depth over breadth. Rushing to “cover’ content does not facilitate deep understanding.
- Students should see math as a powerful tool used to help make sense of our world.